Thursday, August 20, 2020

Parable of the Sower

By Octavia E. Butler
329 pages
Paperback
Speculative Fiction

This was another book club pick! I have never read any of her work before. 


The copyright on the book is 1993, and it's set in... not far from now...


It's actually kind of a terrifying dystopia because it feels so real and possible and plausible. There is no big enemy, just economics and climate change and greed. People are good and people are terrible. There is no sigular enemy to rise up and rebel against for the salvation of the oppressed. 

I started reading this book on Tuesday and finished it by Thursday. 

Page 1

To be honest, I was a little bored in the beginning. I kept putting it down, talking to people, getting snacks, and checking Facebook. 

But then, maybe 50 pages or so in, I got into it. 
The plot moved well. The characters weren't immensely engaging to me, but I was okay with that, somehow. It was structured as journal entries from the point of view of the main character, but felt more like date-stamped scenes. I dont know if that makes sense. 

It reminded me of The Road, a bit. 

It spans several years, but doesn't feel too drawn out. 

There is a sequel. Some of my book club members already got it (and some of them didn't like this one, so for sure wouldn't!)
I dont feel the need to read the sequel because I was satisfied by the ending, but apparently I was a minority there!

It was outside of my normal reading. I'm glad I read it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment