Saturday, June 27, 2020

Incendiary

By Zoraida Córdova
Hardback
450 Pages
YA Fantasy
Owlcrate 

So this book was really readable. I didn't want to put it down. But as soon as I finished I began questioning things. 

I did like the main character. She's a little annoying, but she is also well rounded, and flawed, and there are reasons for her to be the way she is. 

The magic is cool- illusionist, memory, empathy, and lie detectors, basically. Certain metals enhance those powers. 

But - some characters behave inconsistently at times. And maybe I was reading too fast, but there are a few continuity errors - nothing huge, but like: what fabric are those gloves made of? Are you sure?

I was a bit disappointed because when I got 3/4 of the way through I actually thought it was a stand alone book. And then I wasn't sure how it was going to get wrapped up. And then, curve ball!

So there is at least one more. I'll probably read the next one, but I don't feel an urgent need. 

It would be nice, though, to just read a YA novel that doesn't have to be the start of a duology or trilogy. 


I love the little author notes we get with Owlcrate books!

And the signatures are cool too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment