Saturday, March 28, 2020

I Made a Rug

I have a desk the basement. The flooring down here is a vinyl laminate over concrete. My feet get cold even through slippers. For a couple of weeks, I had just kicked an old, stained twin sheet under there, but I decided to actually try making a braided rag rug.

Step 1 - use the sheet and some other yard goods that were laying around (an old cotton curtain, leftovers from other projects) and tear into strips about an inch and a half thick. No measuring actually happened. 
Step 2 - braid them into a really long rope. 
I didn't pay much attention to which fabrics went where, except that I decided to end with the yellowish one to the outside of the rug.

Step 3 - sew it into a sort of circular shape.
I was going for oval, but failed there. I started on the sewing machine, accidentally started making a fabric dowel instead of a rug. Took out a bunch of rounds (not really enough the flatten it fully, it turns out). Sew some rounds by hand. Decide that is too time consuming and wow did my hands get tired. Alternate between machine and hand work a couple of times. Finish most of it on machine.

Step 4 - trim the loose strings, hand sew up a couple of gaps, and: I made a rug!

It's kind of lumpy.

Oval shape would have worked much better.

It will still keep my feet warm. 

I purchased nothing for this project. I used up at least 4 partial bobbins left from other projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment