Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Maybe I'm a great big wuss.

I hate needles. Everything about them.
Yesterday I had a physical. I haven't been in a couple years because I'm healthy and I don't want them to draw blood. But lately I've really been struggling with my weight. Plus, I have a history of an almost abnormal thyroid. Could that be the cause? Guess I have to get tortured to know.
I don't know what it is. Intellectually I understand that it's a brief pain so that they can run tests to affirm my good health. No big deal. I await the terrible part of the exam. I'm pretty relaxed. The nurse comes in to take my blood. I joke with her some to keep my mind off of it. She sticks me in the right arm. Oh gosh, she has 5 vials to fill. She is having trouble getting a good flow of blood out. I can't help it, tears start running down my face. I try and keep control, but then, she has to stick the other arm. She gets the smallest needle she can find. She pokes at my arm with het fingers and tells me I have skinny veins. She puts the needle in and fills up the vials. At this point I'm sobbing. I leave, get in the car, and keep crying. I can't help it. I know it's silly.
I feel all fragile the rest of the day.
I went to dance class and jammed my finger.
This morning my finger still hurts. A lot, actually.
But I haven't shed a test over it and I'm not going to. It's not going to ruin my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment