Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Cultural Studies and Discourse Analysis

By Chris Barker and Darius Galasiński
Nonfiction
Paperback
176 pages + references 

This was another book I picked up from my friend's classroom. This one also looked like a good read for my dissertation. 

Not going to lie, it was pretty dry. I know, big surprise. 

It was a worthwhile read though - intellectually stimulating if not emotionally engaging. 

for example - pondering the nature of identity. We are products of our context and also self-actualized. 

We tell the stories of our own realities, and we make choices about which details to include, exclude, emphasize, and diminish. 

Depending on how you view knowledge and whether there is Truth (capital, one, concrete, knowable) or truth (lowercase, myriad, contextual, unknowable) and what the relationship is between them.

For my study, I'll be looking at school culture and structures.

I've always maintained that language is the most powerful force. It shapes and guides our thoughts, biases, perceptions, impossibility, and possibilities. This is one of the reasons I became an English teacher. Because words are power. 

But, to end on a less serious note, they referenced one of my favorite movies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment