Sunday, June 15, 2014

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

By Ransom Riggs
YA Lit
Hardback 348 pages

This book was one of the choices for World Book Night, so I've been curious about it for a long time and finally put it on hold at the public library. It was strange and interesting. It didn't go the way I expected, which is good, but I also had a problem with the ending. Hmmm. Overall I enjoyed it.
One of the interesting hint about the book is the photographs. They come from collectors and, if I remember correctly, the narrative was woven around or inspired by the pictures. The pictures are weird. Actually, from glancing through the pictures in a bookstore once, I expected this to be a horror story, but it's not. Instead, it is an interesting adventure story.
It starts out pretty horribly, not bad writing- the grandfather of the protagonist is gruesomely murdered. Jacob, the protagonist, is pretty much treated like a mental patient for the next couple chapters. Then, with the support of his therapist, he makes a trip to an island...

No comments:

Post a Comment